Monday, February 11, 2008

Television vs. toddler

So, I'm always noticing how, when sports are on TV, my husband is pretty much oblivious to his surroundings, including his sneaky daughter. I received the following story in my email today which just reminded me that my husband is not the only one who is just not at the top of his game when he's engrossed in one. And it reminded me of something that happened this weekend.
"One day my mother was out and my dad was in charge of me and my brother who is four years older than I am. I was maybe one and a half years old and had just recovered from an illness. Someone had given me a little tea set as a get-well gift and it was one of my favorite toys. Daddy was in the living room engrossed in the television and my brother was playing nearby in the living room when I brought Daddy a little cup of 'tea', which was just water. After several cups of tea and lots of praise for such yummy tea, my Mom came home. My Dad made her wait in the living room to watch me bring him a cup of tea, because it was 'just the cutest thing!!' My Mom waited, and sure enough, I came down the hall with a cup of tea for Daddy. She watched him drink it up, then said, 'Did it ever occur to you that the only place that baby can reach to get water is the toilet??"
Crack me up. So this is what happened in our house Sunday. Ava decided she wanted to make some brownies and take them to Aunt Lyssie's house for her "Grammy Party" Sunday night. She did a great job making the brownies and I even let her lick some batter- raw eggs- is that bad???





After the brownies had baked and cooled I asked her if she wanted to give one to daddy and she proudly carried on into the living room for him. He oohed and aahhed and then told her he'd like to save it for after supper and could she please take it back to mommy in the kitchen. Well, I was unaware of that conversation and she never made it back to the kitchen. I came wandering in the living room a few minutes later and inquired to my attentive husband(who was watching sports) as to where his daughter was. He said he didn't know. Then I noticed a flicker of movement behind the recliner next to him and found our daughter surrounded by brownie crumbs and an empty brownie container! You can see in the background of the next pic just how close the recliner is to Chad on the couch and he had no clue she was there.

(Ava decided Jaxon wanted to help us make brownies, he doesn't usually wear an apron.)

No comments: