Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Children's Stories

Ava and daddy having story time. However, the first book she picked out was Hansel and Gretel. Chad was reading it until he came to the part about the witch wanting to cook Hansel and Gretel in her oven so that she could eat the kids. How were we not scarred as kids with some of these fairytales? Chad's mom was reading The 3 Little Pigs to Ava the other night and had to stop that story too because of the violence in the older Grimm's version. We're kind of into Disney movies right now, actually she only has Cinderella and Little Mermaid but we borrowed Bambi from the library- more violence, I forgot there are hunters with guns running around shooting the poor deer and Bambi is crying for his mother.Which reminds me of another topic- they are all pushed into growing up so fast these days. At Ava's preschool, the teacher's been promoting Hannah Montana by playing her music during playtime. My daughter is in a class with 2 and 3 year olds, what happened to Elmo and Blue's Clues?

I was just talking to a co-worker who has a 7 yr old in the Aledo school system. In elementary school, they are having school dances. Am I being old fashioned or is that just a bit too young to start promoting that kind of thing? Sounds fun in theory right? Just some kids getting together to have fun at school. Only problem is, his daughter got a phone call from a boy in class that he wanted to pick her up and take her to the dance as his date. And all the little girls go to the hair stylist in town so they can get their hair and nails done for this thing. Did I mention she's 7? Maybe I'm just too conservative.


1 comment:

jord,ali,hal,kam and grae too! said...

HAHA! We just had these conversations!! NO you are not too conservative!!! It's funny how now that we are mothers of girls even Disney (gasp!) is violent and harsh. I mean really...why does the momma always have to be the one to get off'd??!! :-)I'm thankful that even though Hal says she likes Hanna M she really doesn't...but sad that she feels she is supposed to. I like that we are sticking to the Fancy Nancy books etc. And if Silas every talked about dances at age 7...i would start talking HOME SCHOOLING!!!