Thursday, May 13, 2010

TV time out

Lately, the first thing my daughter says when we walk in our home is that she wants to watch television- her favorites are "iCarly" and "Spongebob" (which I detest).  And she always asks if she can watch a movie when we're in the car.  I admit, most of this addiction is my fault- it is so much easier to turn on PBS for a while if I need to get something done around the house- like take a shower or make lunch.  But it's not fair to my kids and I've run across some articles lately that link ADD and television watching, especially in young school age kids.  And also how kids under 2 should have 0 television time because of the way their young brains are developing.  Now I feel guilty I'm not doing my job. So after a talk with my husband (he is not completely on board with this- I think because he also is a TV addict) we have decided to turn off the television while our children are awake.  Yes, I have gotten some protesting from A. but this is only the first week and she hasn't had any total breakdowns about it.  The good things are that instead of her plugging into the DVD player in the car, we are talking, singing songs and playing games.  At home instead of vegging on the couch she is excited to help me cook, do chores and art projects.  Yesterday, she did my dishes, helped me with laundry and picked up the playroom on her own.  I wonder how long this will last? :)

1 comment:

cinderelly said...

Hand in there Mom, way to go!